Marker #1.
Old Stone Church

470 Candler Park Drive. 1918-1950, Antioch East Baptist Church. From 1980, First Existentialist Congregation.
Marker installed 2007.

Marker #2.
Rose Hill

Corner of McLendon Ave. and Candler Park Drive.
1892-1942, site of Rose Hill/Mayson Subdivision. Marker installed 2010.

Marker #3. Evening Star Lodge

Candler Park Drive at
Miller Ave. 1893-1942, site of the Edgewood Evening Star Lodge. Marker installed 2010.

Marker #4.
Antioch (East) Baptist Church

420 Oakdale Road.
1877-1916, original site of Antioch (East) Baptist Church.
Marker installed 2013.

Marker #5.
Hooper Street

Hooper St. off Oakdale Road. 1882-1980's. Marker being planned.

Marker #6.
Mary Lin School

586 Candler Park Drive.
Built late 1920's, but not open to African-American children until 1965.
Brick placed 2009..

Antioch Baptist Memorial Bench

Marker #4. First Site of Antioch (East) Baptist Church,
1877-1916

The first site of Antioch (East) Baptist Church was at 420 Oakdale Road.

The current property owners and neighbors have underwritten markers here honoring the significance of this early African American Legacy site.
A commemorative granite bench was placed in 2011 & a Legacy Marker in 2013.

MARKER TEXT:

This marker reaffirms a community of hundreds of African American residents who lived in early Edgewood-Candler Park from 1870 to the 1980s.

Welcome!  As you enjoy the stone bench and greenspace here, imagine a sunny Sunday morning long ago.  In the late 1870s, a small lot, 50 feet to the left of this exhibit, held the first sanctuary of the Antioch (East) Baptist Church, an early congregation of freed African Americans in Georgia after the Civil War. Antioch members met here under a “brush arbor” on property owned by their first pastor, the Reverend Alexander L. Bryant.

By 1883, the Antioch congregation had built a one-story wooden church building on the 40-foot x 60-foot lot. Antioch purchased the land from the Reverend Bryan(t) for $1, with the deed restricting its use to “church and school purposes only.”

A Church in Flames

In July 1916, this well-established African American church burned to the ground.  Details of the fire remain mysterious; no hard evidence of arson or accident has come to light.  In the harsh “Jim Crow” era of strict segregation, with an active Ku Klux Klan nearby, Antioch Baptist Church could not litigate - but church leaders drew their own conclusions.

By 1922, church members had hand-built a new sanctuary one block east – this time made of stone.  The granite building served as Antioch East Baptist Church from 1918 to 1950.  This Old Stone Church still stands at 470 Candler Park Drive.  In 1950, under pressure from segregation, Antioch East relocated south of the railroad tracks, where it continues as a thriving congregation today at 1223 Hardee Street in Edgewood.