Marker #1.
Old Stone Church

470 Candler Park Drive. 1918-1950, Antioch East Baptist Church. From 1980, First Existentialist Congregation.
Marker installed 2007.

Marker #2.
Rose Hill

Corner of McLendon Ave. and Candler Park Drive.
1892-1942, site of Rose Hill/Mayson Subdivision. Marker installed 2010.

Marker #3. Evening Star Lodge

Candler Park Drive at
Miller Ave. 1893-1942, site of the Edgewood Evening Star Lodge. Marker installed 2010.

Marker #4.
Antioch (East) Baptist Church

420 Oakdale Road.
1877-1916, original site of Antioch (East) Baptist Church.
Marker installed 2013.

Marker #5.
Hooper Street

Hooper St. off Oakdale Road. 1882-1980's. Marker being planned.

Marker #6.
Mary Lin School

586 Candler Park Drive.
Built late 1920's, but not open to African-American children until 1965.
Brick placed 2009..

Evening Star Lodge Marker

Marker #3. Edgewood Evening Star Lodge No. 1

MARKER TEXT:

This marker reaffirms a community of hundreds of African American residents who lived in early Edgewood-Candler Park from 1870 to the 1980s.

In the early 1900s, African American residents along Mayson Avenue North (now Candler Park Drive) probably greeted each other at this very spot. Their destination: The Evening Star Lodge.

Together with the Old Stone Church across the street, the Evening Star Lodge was a cornerstone of Black community life in this early biracial neighborhood. Built in 1893, the Lodge served residents on and around Rose Hill, as well as “Hooperville,” a Black neighborhood a few blocks west. Modeled on Masonic-style lodges, Evening Star Lodge offered its members social fellowship and early forms of insurance. For a time it was affiliated with the Order of Odd Fellows.

Elders from Antioch East Baptist Church remember the two-story wooden Lodge hosting fraternal meetings, community events, and Boy Scout troops. One of the first local buildings with electricity, the Lodge was Antioch’s base from 1917 to 1922, while the congregation hand-built its new stone church nearby.

In 1922, Asa G. Candler’s Edgewood Park Realty Company gave 60 acres around Rose Hill to the City of Atlanta “for park purposes.” The new Candler Park – effectively for Whites only – operated in stark contrast to Black community life on Rose Hill.

By the late 1930s, neighborhood children ran past the vacant, “haunted” Lodge building. A City of Atlanta ordinance in 1942 claimed the Lodge and other African American properties on Rose Hill for the expansion of Candler Park.

The hillside was later leveled into the ball fields of Candler Park.