Marker #1.
Old Stone Church

470 Candler Park Drive. 1918-1950, Antioch East Baptist Church. From 1980, First Existentialist Congregation.
Marker installed 2007.

Marker #2.
Rose Hill

Corner of McLendon Ave. and Candler Park Drive.
1892-1942, site of Rose Hill/Mayson Subdivision. Marker installed 2010.

Marker #3. Evening Star Lodge

Candler Park Drive at
Miller Ave. 1893-1942, site of the Edgewood Evening Star Lodge. Marker installed 2010.

Marker #4.
Antioch (East) Baptist Church

420 Oakdale Road.
1877-1916, original site of Antioch (East) Baptist Church.
Marker installed 2013.

Marker #5.
Hooper Street

Hooper St. off Oakdale Road. 1882-1980's. Marker being planned.

Marker #6.
Mary Lin School

586 Candler Park Drive.
Built late 1920's, but not open to African-American children until 1965.
Brick placed 2009.

Marker # 5. (under consideration)
Hooper Street, 1882–1980s

Hooper Avenue, west off Oakdale Road, was home to African American families from the 1880s through the 1980s. In 1882, Charles Hooper, a Black man, bought more than 5 acres of land that became Hooper Street. He sold, willed, and gifted land lots to members of his extended family, church, and friends. Hooper Street was the longest lasting African American neighborhood in Candler Park.

We will pursue a marker here to acknowledge the 100-year presence of the African American neighborhood on Hooper Street.