Marker #1.
Old Stone Church

470 Candler Park Drive. 1918-1950, Antioch East Baptist Church. From 1980, First Existentialist Congregation.
Marker installed 2007.

Marker #2.
Rose Hill

Corner of McLendon Ave. and Candler Park Drive.
1892-1942, site of Rose Hill/Mayson Subdivision. Marker installed 2010.

Marker #3. Evening Star Lodge

Candler Park Drive at
Miller Ave. 1893-1942, site of the Edgewood Evening Star Lodge. Marker installed 2010.

Marker #4.
Antioch (East) Baptist Church

420 Oakdale Road.
1877-1916, original site of Antioch (East) Baptist Church.
Marker installed 2013.

Marker #5.
Hooper Street

Hooper St. off Oakdale Road. 1882-1980's. Marker being planned.

Marker #6.
Mary Lin School

586 Candler Park Drive.
Built late 1920's, but not open to African-American children until 1965.
Brick placed 2009.

Historic Markers Initiative

Our Historic Markers Initiative places informative markers at well-documented African American Legacy Sites in the Candler Park neighborhood. Please refer to our Walking Tour Map tab to see where these sites are located and to read historic details.

The concept for the Legacy Markers comes from surviving African American Elders and their descendants whose families were early residents in the Candler Park area. It is our intent to further this community education work while the Elders are still with us, to publicly honor the history they lived on this land that was their post Civil War community’s homeplace.

The BiRacial History Project has received funds for the Legacy Markers Initiative from the Unitarian Universalist Funding Program, Candler Park Neighborhood Organization, 420-Oakdale Group, First Existentialist Congregation, Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Atlanta, and more than 100 friends and neighbors.

To help support this ongoing educational project, please make your tax-deductible donations to the BiRacial History Project, PO Box 5567 Atlanta GA 31107.

Old Stone Church Marker

Marker #1. The Old Stone Church

This marble and granite marker was created in collaboration with First Existentialist Congregation, Antioch East Baptist Church, Grady High School Art Department and Atlanta Partnership for Arts in Learning.  The marker was installed at the Old Stone Church in Nov. 2007, for Antioch East’s 133rd Church Anniversary Celebration and their Historic Sites Bus Tours.