Back to map

Site #1.
Old Stone Church

Second Sanctuary of Antioch (East) Baptist Church, 1918-1950. Since 1980, home to the First Existentialist Congregation.

Site #2. Rose Hill

(at right)

Site #3.
Evening Star Lodge

Site of the Edgewood Evening Star Lodge, 1893-1942, serving the surrounding Black Community.

Site #4.
Antioch (East) Baptist Church

Original site of the Antioch (East) Baptist Church, 1877-1916.

Site #5. Hooper St.

An African American enclave from 1880s to 1980s. Many Antioch East Baptist Church Elders were born and lived on this street.

Site #6.
Mary Lin School

Public elementary school built late 1920s, but not open to African American children until 1965.

Rose Hill Site

This open expanse of rolling hill and leveled ball fields belies the presence of the African American settlement on Rose Hill, here from the 1890ís - 1940ís.

Site #2. Rose Hill Community:
Mayson Ave./Savage Ave. Subdivision

9.5 acres at the southwest corner of todayís Candler Park (at Candler Park Dr. and McLendon Ave.) were purchased from John Goldsmith in 1880 by Mrs. Frances (Fannie) Mayson, a Caucasian Georgia matron. Over the next two decades she boldly sold lots to African American families. Plat and county maps from 1893, 1915, 1941 name the African American property owners in the Mayson Subdivision. Antioch East members, property deeds, US Census and Atlanta City Directories offer details about these Black residents. Remembered as Rose Hill in the Black community, the subdivision was home to Antioch East founders, a Black Lodge - Edgewood Evening Star Lodge - and possibly a Black school.

With the creation of the city-owned, Caucasian-only Candler Park Golf Course in the mid 1920s, pressures on Black residents here increased. Atlanta City Council passed the 1942 Slum Clearance Ordinance, facilitating citywide removal of selected homes lacking plumbing and needing repair. This paved the way for the Cityís acquisition of all the residences in the Mayson Ave. Subdivision in the 1940s and the incorporation of those properties into the segregated public park, Candler Park.